Menominee County Michigan
Minutes of March 12, 2018 Regular Meeting
Supervisor Stephen Wery called the meeting to order at the Gourley Township Hall at 6:59 p.m. and then, asking all to stand, led in the reciting of the Pledge of Allegiance.
Roll Call: Present: Stephen Wery, Supervisor
Annette Soper, Clerk
Stephanie Walechka, Treasurer
Jesse Wery, Trustee
Dan Cordy, Trustee
Also Present: Kevin Boerschinger, Tim Groleau, and Evan Mack
Agenda: Supervisor Stephen Wery presented the Agenda. Annette Soper made the motion to approve the Agenda and Jesse Wery supported the motion. Motion was carried.
Minutes: The minutes of the February 12, 2018, Regular Board Meeting were presented. After review, Stephanie Walechka made a motion to accept the minutes as presented and Jesse Wery supported the motion. Motion was carried.
Treasure & Clerk Report:
NOTE: Clerk checks the bank CDs for quarterly balances and checks the tax fund check book monthly
The Financial Report for February 2018 was handed out. There was $280,025.91 in the General Fund and $297,438.41 in the Fire Fund. Steve made a motion to accept the Financial Report and place it on file. Dan Cordy supported the motion, and it was carried.
Fire Chief Report: Fire Report presented by Dan Cordy
- There was 0 runs for February and 1 assist call today (March 12) to Nadeau for a grass fire.
- Still looking for a grass fire truck. Found a couple but they didn’t work out.
- As of March 6 the pumper fire truck is out of commission. It is currently under repair and expected to be ready by Friday. It has electrical issues that have been hard to diagnose and resolve.
- Gourley Township Fire Department will be hosting the Bi-annual Fireman’s Association Spring meeting on March 29, 2018 at 7:00 CDST featuring a Training Instructor as the guest speaker. A dinner will be provided.
Regarding New Fire Garage & Fire hall:
- Steve met with Bittner’s to go over bids that were received and opened at the special “Bid Opening” meeting that was held February 15, 2018.
- There were 7 contractors present at the Bid Opening and the bids ranged from $521K
- Discussion: Steve outlined the following options available to the township for the construction of the new facility
- Option 1 – Build garage complete and frame the shell for town hall
- Option 2 – Build garage only and use the existing hall and in the future add on to the new garage
- Option 3 – Raise millage
- Option 4 – Repair/Remodel existing garage
- Board of Review:
- There was an Organizational meeting at 3:00 pm on March 6, 2018 at the township hall.
- The spring Board of Review met March 12, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm and will meet March 13, from 3:00-9:00 pm CST at the township hall
- The Public Hearing for the budget for fiscal year 2018-19 met March 12, 2018 at 6:00 pm
- The Preliminary Budget for fiscal year 2018-2019 was presented and reviewed
- Amendments to the budget were read by the Treasurer, Stephanie Walechka. She then made a motion to accept amendments. The motion was supported by Steve Wery and the motion was carried.
The amendments made to the budget are as follows:
Other Services & Charges + $292.14
Printing & Publishing + $ 15.04
Deputy Clerk’s Per Diem + $ 45.00
Interest Expense + $310.00
$662.18 Taken from Misc
Other Services & Charges + $150.00
Insurance & Bonds + $ 33.40
$183.40 Taken from Misc
- A motion was presented by Steve Wery to accept the budget for the fiscal year 2018-19. Jesse Wery supported the motion. It was voted by all board members and passed unanimously.
- The clerk presented the General Appropriations Act (GAA) for the fiscal year 2018-19. A motion was made by Annette Soper to accept the GAA and place it on file and Dan Cordy supported the motion. The motion was carried.
- The Fire Department Incentive Program was updated into a formal policy. The only amendments to the program were to increase the compensations for the Training and Attendance requirements to $150.00 each. Also stated is a payout cap of $3000.00. The effective date for the policy will be April 1, 2018. After discussion, Stephanie Walechka made a motion to accept the Fire Department Incentive Program policy as written and to place it on file. Jesse Wery supported the motion and it was carried.
- The clerk asked for approval to select the following Election workers for the three elections to be held in Gourley Township in 2018. They are: Terrie Lynn Thompson, Brenda Strahl, Bonnie Hahn and Stephanie Walechka. All 4 individuals have attended election worker training in the past 6 months giving them accreditation to serve for 2 years. Steve Wery presented a motion to accept the above names to serve on the election board for the year of 2018. Dan Cordy supported the motion and it was carried.
- The Bid Opening meeting for the proposed Fire Hall Garage/Town Hall was held February 15, 2018 at 3:00 CST. (See meeting minutes for Bid opening meeting)
- Steve and Annette will write grant to Hannahville requesting funds to apply toward the new Fire Garage/Hall. Steve will also contact Bessie & Dagenais for financial support for the new construction.
- Bittner Engineer sent a letter to the Gourley Township board recommending, after reviewing all bids for accuracy, etc., that Walechka Inc. be the Contractor for the Fire Garage/Hall construction project.
- See Supervisor’s Report for more discussion regarding Fire hall.
- A public hearing will be held April 9, 2018 at 6:00 pm CDST at the Gourley Township Hall to discuss the proposed Fire Garage/Hall with the township residents. Notifications will be published in the Lufts Advertiser, Menominee County Journal and the Extra. It will also be posted on the township website and on the door of the township hall. The regular monthly board meeting will be rescheduled for April 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm CDST, prior to the Public Hearing.
Pay the Bills:
- Stephanie Walechka made a motion to pay the bills. It was supported by Jesse Wery and the motion was carried.
- A Motion was made to adjourn by Stephanie Walechka and supported by Annette Soper. Motion was carried and the meeting was adjourned at 8:33 p.m. The next Regular Board Meeting will be held on April 9, 2018 at 5:00 pm CDST prior to the Public Hearing which starts at 6:00 p.m. at the Gourley Township Hall
Annette Soper, Clerk Date Approved